How it Works
So how does a Community Supported Fishery (CSF) work?
The purpose of a CSF is to connect folks with the ocean that provides for them, and to build rich, direct relationships between the fishers and the community (you!). To do this, our CSF “share members” pre-purchase a portion of our catch before and during the fishing season. Think of it as “seed” money that allows the fisher to dedicate their season to catching your fish. In exchange, the fisher’s pristine catch is then processed and distributed to Kenai-Red Fish Company's share members once the fishing season concludes. When you become a member, you gain access to not only the best quality fish available but also insider pricing on wild Alaskan salmon caught by us.
There are five primary elements of a CSF program:
- Provide a transparent chain from the boat to the table
- To increase access to premium, sustainably-caught seafood
- To ensure fishermen receive a fair price for their catch that reflects the value of their work
- To engage fishermen and community members in more robust, viable, local food systems
90% of the seafood consumed in the US is imported, often changing hands multiple times in a long, questionable supply chain. Kenai-Red is your supply chain so you know exactly where your fish comes from
Our premium salmon is Marine Stewardship Council certified
- We own our own small-batch processing facility in Ninilchik, AK where we process and smoke our own fish in micro batches by hand
- The fish that goes in is the fish that comes out! What does that mean? In larger processing facilities, the fish fishers catch is not necessarily the fish they receive on the back end after processing is complete. That will never happen here. The fish we catch on our boats is exactly the fish you receive upon distribution!
“Catch-to-freezer” time is often an impressive 12 hrs. Learn more about the flash freezing process and why we love it here
- Alaskan seafood is chock-full of protein, omega-3s, and essential vitamins and minerals. These nutrients can improve vision, brain health, heart health, and immune system functionality